Catch up to 12 lobsters per day at BugFest!
The Town of Lauderdale-By-The-Sea celebrates Florida’s lobster mini-season with BugFest, our annual bug hunting dive festival!
Sponsored by Reef Safe Sun, this year’s event is July 24-29, 2018and features a concert on Saturday, July 28 that benefits Diveheart , a non-profit that teaches adults and children with disabilities how to scuba dive.
Unlike the Florida Keys, there’s lots to do in Lauderdale-By-The-Sea besides hunting lobsters during mini-season. We have great beachfront hotels at low summer rates, restaurants, fun public plazas with kids games, quaint shops and pubs — all just a short stroll from your town hotel.
Mini-season divers can also bag up to 12 bug per day outside Monroe County! That can be confirmed by checking the latest Florida Fish & Wildlife lobster mini-season regulations.
In addition to great Reef Safe sun care products, we are giving away $20,000 in cash, dive gear prizes and trips. Divers who enter the contest receive a raffle ticket for every lobster they catch! You may not bag the biggest bug, but you could still go home with a prize.
Online registration for the Great Florida Bug Hunt is open. Please note: Even though you must check the PayPal option to get to the payment page, you can still pay by credit card. The contest fee is $20. Divers receive a free BugFest Goody Bag and BugFest T-shirt.
This year’s BugFest event includes:
– The Great Florida Bug Hunt (July 25 & 26). You can win a regulator, dive tank or other great prizes, even if you don’t catch any bugs!
– A free lobster hunting seminar at 6PM on Tuesday, July 24 at Plunge Beach Hotel. The 1-hour seminar is taught by author and lobster hunting expert Jim “Chiefy” Mathie, a retired Deerfield Beach firefighter. Chiefy will be giving away five of his books on lobster hunting!
– A Mini-Season Kickoff Party at Plunge’s beachside pool and bar at 7PM on Tuesday, July 24. Meet the ScubaRadio mermaids and enjoy a free beer, courtesy of Gold Coast Scuba, while listening to trop rock music provided by the Scuba Cowboy!
– BugFest Mini-Season Awards Party and Lobster Chef Contest starting at 6PM on Thursday, July 26th.The event will feature the Scuba Cowboy and ScubaRadio mermaids.
– A concert to benefit Diveheart starting at 6:30PM on Saturday, July 28 in Anglin’s Square.
– If you have questions about Florida’s lobster mini-season or BugFest, call Steve at 954-640-4209 or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.